Patent Attorney - New Jersey and New York
A Patent Attorney Catering to the Patent needs of the Small Business and the Individual
Lawrence Hersh, Esq., a Bergen County patent attorney, has been an attorney for more than 20 years and is registered to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office. He handles both patent filings and patent litigation matters.
What is a patent?
A patent is an intellectual property right granted by the Government of the United States of America to an inventor “to exclude others from making, using, offering for sale, or selling the invention throughout the United States or importing the invention into the United States” for a limited time in exchange for public disclosure of the invention when the patent is granted.
There are three types of patents. Utility patents may be granted to anyone who invents or discovers any new and useful process, machine, article of manufacture, or composition of matter, or any new and useful improvement thereof. Design patents may be granted to anyone who invents a new, original, and ornamental design for an article of manufacture. Plant patents may be granted to anyone who invents or discovers and asexually reproduces any distinct and new variety of plant.
Patent Attorney Lawrence Hersh can assist clients with respect to patents in the following areas:
- Pursuing claims of patent infringement against someone using your patent
- Defending you or your business against allegations of patent infringement
- Registering or assisting with the filing of patents with the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO)
- Responding or sending out cease and desist letters for patent infringement
- Negotiating a settlement or licensing agreement with respect to a trademark
- Filing or defending a lawsuit in the federal courts of New Jersey, New York or elsewhere related to a patent or other intellectual property
- Maintaining patent registrations by filing maintenance fees
- Assisting foreign patent attorneys and their clients with their U.S. patent related needs
- Acting as local counsel in New Jersey and New York for patent related litigation
The types of patent pre-litigation and litigation matters that this patent law firm has handled include:
- Representing a client in a million dollar collection matter related to computer accessories, where the counterclaims and defenses related to indemnification for patent infringement. This case eventually reached the Third Circuit Court of Appeal, which affirmed our client’s position.
- Defending a client in a patent litigation lawsuit related to a design patent for a coffee mug.
- Acting as local counsel in a patent litigation related to a cosmetic industry patent.
- Acting as patent counsel in a patent and trademark litigation matter related to a business method patent in the jewelry industry