Copyright Attorney - New Jersey and New York
A Copyright Attorney Catering to the Copyright needs of the Small Business and Individual
Lawrence Hersh, Esq., a Bergen County copyright attorney, has been an attorney for more than 20 years and is registered to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office. He handles both copyright registrations and litigation matters.
What is a copyright?
Copyright is a form of protection provided by the laws of the United States to the authors of “original works of authorship,” including literary, dramatic, musical, artistic, and certain other intellectual works. This protection is available to both published and unpublished works. Section 106 of the 1976 Copyright Act generally gives the owner of copyright the exclusive right to do and to authorize others to do the following:
• reproduce the work in copies or phonorecords
• prepare derivative works based upon the work
• distribute copies or phonorecords of the work to the public by sale or other transfer of ownership, or by rental, lease, or lending
• perform the work publicly, in the case of literary, musical, dramatic, and choreographic works, pantomimes, and motion pictures and other audio visual works
• display the work publicly, in the case of literary, musical, dramatic, and choreographic works, pantomimes, and pictorial, graphic, or sculptural works, including the individual images of a motion picture or other
Copyright Attorney Lawrence Hersh can assist clients with respect to Copyrights in the following areas:
- Assisting individuals or small businesses with copyright registration
- Pursuing claims of copyright infringement against an individual or business using your trademark
- Defending you or your business against allegations of copyright infringement
- Registering copyrights with the Copyright Office
- Responding or sending out cease and desist letters for copyright infringement
- Negotiating a settlement or licensing agreement with respect to a copyright
- Filing or defending a copyright lawsuit in the federal courts of New Jersey, New York or elsewhere.
- Assisting foreign attorneys and their clients with their U.S. filings before the Copyright Office
- Acting as local counsel in New Jersey and New York for copyright related litigation
The types of copyright pre-litigation and litigation matters that this copyright law firm has handled include:
- Representing a client in the jewelry industry whose copyrighted designs and packaging trade dress were being infringed.
- Representing a client against a claim of copyright infringement where the company’s web designer used copyrighted images on the website without the client’s knowledge.
- Sending out cease and desist letters on behalf of a client whose copyrighted designs for clothing packaging were infringed.